Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 15, 2011

oh snap

In lieu of current events, I feel that I have to say something about the Jobs Bill. First of all I think it's awesome that the President has noticed that 1 in 6 Americans are living below the poverty line. First, I think we all need to understand what "living below the poverty line" really means. If a family of 4 makes less than $22,350 in joint yearly income, then they are considered impoverished. Ok, If you make $23,000 and are trying to raise a family of 4, according to our government (that ALL Americans pay for) you're doing just fine. This as in all things context is key. So let's take a look at how many tax paying Americans are included in the poverty stricken population. About 15% of Americans are living below the poverty line. Doesn't sound like much, right? How about this: 45 Million people. Think about how many people do you know? Chances are that 15% of them are flat broke. And I'm not talking about flat broke like, "do you have any beer on special?" flat broke. I'm talking about flat broke like, "should I buy this medicine, or this milk" broke. Call me an idealist, but I can't imagine that there are kids out there who's dream it is to be on welfare when they get older. I can see second grade career day now: "What do you want to be when you grow up Dennis?" "I want to be the starting center fielder for the Boston Red Sox." "What do you want to be when you grow up little Billy?" "I want to be on the welfare!"

It's in our spirit to do something positive with our lives. When do we abandon that spirit? Give up? Start becoming "takers" instead of "givers?" At some point in our lives I think we begin to feel that we have been defeated. For some it comes earlier than others, but it happens to the best of us. What matters at that point is how we deal with it, regroup, replan, continue on in a global economy. This failed spirit is what has happened to the American dream; and never has it been more prevalent than today. The recession continues, however it seems that politicians are having no problem filling their campaign war chests. The poverty percentage grows, however high priced retail stores are having trouble keeping shoes and clothes in stock. The American dream flutters in the wind, public schools crumble, 1 in 6 children are born into poverty, Americans' stomach's ache with the pain of a country that has turned a blind eye; yet we continue on. Through the valley, through the darkness, through the storm. Who is speaking for the weakest among us. I know I don't. But then again I'm just a blogger with no importance whatsoever. (Kulifay has wider circulation than me...so sad). I think we're still waiting for a progressive candidate to speak of the people, by the people and for the people. Oh wait, we have one? He's in the White House? The President who has pledged to protect our national interest? Ok. So, he's going to save the day. The Jobs Bill. I can only speak for myself (and for the record I don't live below the poverty level), but I really think that the Jobs Bill isn't going to do a damn thing for me.

Of all this "jobs" talk has once again taken us away from what really happened to get us here. The bottom fell out of the market a few years ago, everyone laid off workers so the fat cats could still get their Christmas bonuses and take their families to Switzerland for skiing lessons. Then they realized that they didn't need all the workers they had before. Now that they've laid off so many workers and Americans are begging for jobs, they can pay one person to do the work of two people for half as much. Fat Cats are happy (10% of Americans) and the regular Joe's (the remaining 90%) work crap jobs for sh*t pay....and blog about it. So now that jobs are going to save our national interest and restore our faith in government (just kidding), what will we do to prevent giant American corporations from making efficiency a key component to success? It wasn't that long ago Saturday Night Live did a sketch about a guy with an office job who did nothing but stand by the coffee machine all day and bug his caffeine crazed coworkers. Should we have been working to save that guy's job?

I guess my point to all this is that we don't need to create mindless jobs to get American's back to work. We need to create industry. Give American's actual work to do. Build. Create. Accomplish. You can't blame American corporate executives and owners for wanting to create efficiency and take advantage of the high unemployment rate. that's what they do...the same way you can't blame a dog eating the garbage that you left out. he's just being a dog.

So the conclusion: corporations are dogs. politicians are pussies. oh snap.

2 comments:

  1. OK, so I've been lurking and reading your blog for a while (I only read blogs written by people I know) and I wanted to ask if you've heard anything from a guy named Buddy Roemer? He's interesting. I think he's right that nothing is ever going to change for the better in this country unless the electoral process is changed. We have become a thoroughly corrupt nation, and thoroughly corrupt nations cannot be successful for long. We're seeing that now. Americans have spark, intelligence, grit, and entrepreneurial spirit. But all the folks with the good ideas and business sense and hungry bellies are kept in their places by the extremely rich and powerful leaders of corporations who buy the presidency every 4 years. I think a lot of us sense this truth and we're becoming less and less invested in the outcome of each election. I know I am.

    Now...to go see if there's any beer on special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thanks for reading and the recommendation to check out Buddy Roemer. I've been following Buddy for years; going back to when he was Governor of Louisiana. I love his idea of campaign finance reform...but that's exactly why he has no chance of becoming the next president. I found it fascinating that he made an announcement to run for President then made his keystone issue campaign fiance reform. Very ballsy, but not very smart. I think that's why I like him so much. He's a good guy, charismatic, well spoken, excellent policy ideas but has the political instincts of an infant.

    ReplyDelete